Why is there missing or incorrect tracking data?
Incorrect/missing sessions or events
Although it's impossible for someone to block us from tracking their playback activity on your reels, there are a couple of circumstances where you might not see that a reel was opened when you know for sure it was, or some events might be missing:
- The listener's browser sends event data to our servers, but if there's a network issue on their end (or between them and us), the tracking request won't reach us.
- If the listener happens to close the tab or reload the page at the right (or wrong) moment, a tracking event may not make it to our servers.
- If you see a play event with nothing afterward, it's probably because the listener just closed the window/tab in the middle of playback.
Unfortunately, situations like these are out of our control, so we can't guarantee 100% accuracy in tracking information.
As for sessions with no events, it's highly likely that the person didn't listen to anything yet. It's common for people to open a reel to take a quick look, then close it so they can review later.
Wrong location reported for a session
We use a very popular and reliable third-party service that will give us geographical information when we send them an IP address. Unfortunately, it's not always reliable, for one of a few reasons:
- The geodata is not fully up-to-date or incorrect.
- The listener is using a VPN, so their location can't be accurately determined.
- The link was shared with a service or app that “scrapes” the link to access images/text to display a preview. We currently block the most common services from your dashboard, like Facebook, etc., but we cannot block 100% of these types of events. It may also be something as basic as a desktop clipboard app that accesses the reel every time you or your recipient copies/pastes the URL.
- The reel was shared with a third party or posted publicly on the internet by the recipient.